Summer is here and more people will be enjoying the outdoors and sunshine more. Florida is called the Sunshine State for a good reason, and Floridians love to soak up the Sun as much as possible. Getting out in the Sun every day is right for you, but we all know too much can have damaging, lasting repercussions.
There are ways to enjoy the outdoors while keeping yourself safe from Sun damage. Here are a few rules to keep in mind while spending time outside.
- Avoid going outside much between 10 AM and 2 PM - The Sun is at its hottest and most dangerous in the late morning to the mid-afternoon. Limiting exposure at these critical times helps sun damage at a minimum.
- Lather up the sunscreen before going out - Expert recommend covering all exposed areas with sunscreen that is SPF 30 or higher, even on a cloudy day. Re-apply every two hours or every 30 minutes if exposed to water.
- Protect your eyes - Our eyes are sensitive to sunlight and can suffer damage if not adequately protected. Look for sunglasses with UVA and UVB protection.
- Cover your head too - A wide-brimmed hat or baseball cap is a great way to shield your head, face, and neck from damaging rays. Don’t forget to put sunscreen on exposed areas such as your ears and nose.
- Cover the kids up - Babies and children have delicate skin that can get sunburnt quickly. Limited exposure use high SPF sunscreen, and keep them in the shade as much as possible. Encourage them to play in shady spots rather than full sun areas.
- Screen in your patio - A patio screen can block out 30% of harmful UV rays and keep significantly cooler, up to 15 degrees lower than without a screen. For optimal protection, follow the above guidelines of covering up to reduce sun exposure.
Here at Quality Screens and Aluminum, we want to help you have the best experience possible on your patio and other outdoor areas. Contact our office to find out more on our screens and other products.